Friday, June 26, 2015

Proud day to be American...Incredible day to be a parent...

It's a proud day to be an American.

It's an incredible day to be a parent.

I woke up this morning to the news the U.S. Supreme Court has found a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, striking down bans in 14 states and handing a historic victory to the gay rights movement that would have been unthinkable just 10 years ago. The 5-4 majority ruled that preventing same-sex people from marrying violated their constitutional right to due process under the 14th Amendment and that the states were unable to put forth a compelling reason to withhold that right from people.

As an American, I am appalled we even had to talk about this issue. No one should ever be denied ANYTHING that everyone else is entitled to have. Period. This is America. 

Reading posts and comments regarding religion, in terms of this issue, I think of how I am given a right to choose the religion I practice. I don't practice all religions. I got to choose my faith. 
Because I have that right as an American.
 
Those who hide behind religion as a way to judge others' lives baffle me. 

I'm not an expert on religion by any means, but I do feel it's a peaceful existence which promotes love and acceptance and never accepts exclusion or prejudice. 

I choose marriage between a man and a woman. I had that right. I fell in love with a man and we got married. I can't imagine how we would have felt if someone had told us 'we weren't allowed to be in love and to marry.'

Today is an incredible day to be a parent.

While I have lived my life as one of acceptance and open-mindedness, my interest in seeing all Americans with the same rights has definitely become heightened within the past year. 

One of our sons shared with us that he is bisexual. Since telling all of us, he is the happiest I have ever seen him. He can be who is he...just like we can be...each and every day. That is his right just as it is ours. No difference. 

As a parent, my perspective on this issue is one that is now based on the pure and incredible love a mom feels for her children. 

Perhaps those who see 'equal rights for all' as something they have a right to 'limit' if they don't agree with the way a person lives their life or whom they choose to love...should be a parent. 

As a parent, I would like to think the most important thing is that our children are happy. 
 
My son's happiness is his right. 

Whether or not he chooses to marry should be up to him. Just as it is up to our other three children. It should be their right as Americans. 

Today's ruling means all four of my children have the same and equal rights as citizens of the United States. It's truly an historic day. 

I am tearful and emotional as I write this. 

It's a proud day to be an American. 

It's an incredible day to be a parent. 

It is what it is. 

p

No comments:

Post a Comment