Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Be Grateful for People from Your Past...

I have been out at the hospital the last few days sitting with my mother-in-law and her 80 year old boyfriend following his surgery.  As my mother-in-law and I got into the elevator to ride down to eat breakfast yesterday, she pressed the wrong button and we went 'up' instead of 'down'. 

When the elevator doors opened, I came face to face with someone from my past.  This wasn't a person I particularly ever wished to see again in my lifetime.  It was a person who had made it her mission to do harm to me and a member of my family.  Seeing her, in this unexpected moment, I felt a flood of emotions come back.  They weren't good feelings, for sure.

She seemed as startled as I was but hesitated only a moment before she got on the elevator with her companion and rode down the three floors to the cafeteria.  Doors opened and we got out and went our separate ways.

Having plenty of time to reflect on that moment as I sat in the hospital room the remainder of the day, I realized how my initial reaction at seeing her began to change from those first feelings. 

When someone does us or a family member harm we naturally feel anger and hurt.  Our protective instincts come into play when our children are involved as mine did in this case.  I was much more concerned for my child than for myself at that time.  I also remember feeling surprise at the calculated and underhanded tactics this woman employed to reach her desired end result.

Though this all took place several years ago, I can honestly say I have never seen people act the way they did then and I hope I never do again.  I had no idea people could even be like that.  My eyes were definitely opened to the dark side of humanity when one has a personal agenda and you are in their way.  I was admittedly naïve. 

Waking up this morning, I knew I had moved past what happened so long ago because even though I could certainly do without ever seeing this woman again, I feel seeing her was supposed to be a gentle reminder.

I should be grateful.  And I truly am.  I am so grateful for what she instigated and orchestrated.  I am grateful for the few others who joined her ridiculous cause.  People who jump on a bandwagon because what you stand for stops them from achieving their personal desires are not worth my time.

Cheating the system and using connections in behind-the-scenes dealings, in order to accomplish something that would never be done in the open with accountability and transparency is never, nor will ever be, a part of who I am or what I stand for. 

Unfortunately, it wasn't about me.  People like this woman, who react how she did to my daughter and me, will repeat the behaviors on others, as well.  But her impact on me has long ended. 

I am forever grateful our lives crossed paths.

I know it was a life lesson.

It is what it is.

p











No comments:

Post a Comment