Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A community coming together...

Tomorrow night, Village of South Jacksonville residents have the opportunity to attend a regularly-scheduled Board Meeting.  Unless you live under a rock, you've been seeing Facebook posts and news stories regarding the turmoil that surrounds our small community. 

I have been curious about the online petition that has been circulating on Change.org (which calls for the resignations of President Gordon Jumper, Police Chief Richard Evans and Treasurer Linda Douglass) and a new page on Facebook called My Social Jacksonville.

Today, I listened to "What's On Your Mind" on WLDS Radio and heard Colby Huff discuss his efforts and his reasoning behind creating both. 

Huff outlined the basics, in a bit more detail, and also discussed what he foresees happening at tomorrow's meeting. 

I listened. 

And I listened. 

I admit I felt somewhat uneasy because I don't know Mr. Huff.  I have no way of knowing if he has ulterior motives for leading this 'cause.' 

My apprehension started to ease when he said his reason for getting involved was because it was the right thing to do. 

I like that.

That's the bottom line. 

I've been hearing some residents haven't been signing the petition because they are afraid of retaliation or because they know one of the three individuals personally. 

I can understand that.

But, the real issue is what's right and what's wrong. 

If signing a public petition or speaking out makes someone uncomfortable, that's his choice, of course.  BUT, if residents support the effort to do the right thing, they still have an outlet.  They still have a chance for their anonymous voice to be heard and to be counted. 

VOTE. 

Vote on Tuesday in the Village Trustee race. 

Likewise, if the petition does not initiate Jumper, Evans and Douglass to resign their positions, then vote in two years time for a different Village President. 

Not all of us are interested in being a part of a movement no matter how much we agree with it. 

We all have a right to vote, however, and that makes us as much a part of the solution as if we were on the front lines leading the charge. 

I will be at the meeting tomorrow night.  I want to be as informed as possible.  I feel it's my duty as both a village resident and as a voter. 

By doing nothing, you can become part of the problem. 

It is what it is.

p

No comments:

Post a Comment