Saturday, January 23, 2016

Facebook...Proceed With Caution

Last night, I broke an unwritten, self-imposed, rule I had set for myself. 

I commented. And commented. And commented on a Facebook post regarding the Village of South Jacksonville. And I was answering in my capacity as a Village Trustee. 

Certainly, I have answered questions and shared, what I consider,
pertinent information regarding the Village before now. 

This was different. 

In all fairness, I began by answering an original post when I knew the person who posted it did not have all the information they needed to form an opinion. I was simply trying to set the record straight. That part was fine. No foul. No flags thrown.

However, later in the evening, a notification popped up from that same post. 

Different person now. Asking what seemed to be a straightforward question. 

I answered. 

I have always been a person who says what she feels. As an educator and a former coach, I constantly urged the same from the young people who crossed my path over my decade or so in the public school system. 

Communication is essential in any and in all types of relationships. 

While I certainly do not take back anything I said and nor do I regret it, what I am bothered by is how quickly I let myself get sucked into an agenda which was not my own. 

When you answer posts on Facebook, you run the risk of the never ending cycle of messages. One leads to another and yet another. There's no order and certainly no rhyme or reason. Focus is lost. Original points are muddled. Lines are blurred. People talk to each other in tones they would never use if conversing face-to-face. Disrespectful and accusatory tones. There's sarcasm and innuendo and that is never an adult way to communicate. Especially when you are talking about the Village of South Jacksonville. 

While this particular exchange didn't get to an extreme point, I did feel berated because I was asked something I will not do and was accused of not be transparent as a result. Bullying tactics. I've seen them many times before in schools. 

Yes, I finally stopped the exchange. 

But, the stark reality is, I let myself get sucked in. 

Moving forward, I only want to address that one small part of the entire exchange last night. 

I was asked to disclose a letter I received as a Trustee during the January 7 Board meeting. I was urged to just 'post it' on Facebook or send it to the person I was talking with to satisfy their need to see it immediately and prove something. Absolve the Village of something. I said I would not. 

I noticed this morning, I had been accused by another as using a 'power play' by not providing the letter as requested because it was public record. 

So we're completely clear from this point on, any materials I receive as a trustee are mine. I have not and will not share these materials merely because someone asks me or because they may or may not be public record. No one sees my Board packets nor anything I receive during a meeting. I have been happy to share the Board Agendas with people who hadn't gotten a chance to look at Village Hall (where they are posted) or online. I see no issue here because it's an Agenda which, by the time I receive it, is already publicly available. This is the only exception.

As for making a power play? 

Here's the power I see I have as a Trustee. 

I have the POWER OF MY VOTE

Therefore, any and all materials given to me are for THAT purpose. 

If someone wishes to obtain Village documents, we have a process for that. Trustees are not part of that process. We have a Village Clerk who handles any and all requests. 

As for transparency, everyone's perception is their reality, of course. 

Here's what I know. This is my reality.

I have taken the time to talk with several Village residents who have concerns/comments to see what their issues are. That's my job. To hear all sides. That's transparency. 

I don't feel I can make an informed vote without doing my homework. I have done it and will continue to do so. Depending on the topics to be discussed, I can spend hours preparing for a meeting. That's transparency. 

I am accessible to whomever wishes to talk with me. That's transparency. 

If you attend the meetings, you'll notice I stay inside long after the meeting is done, in case someone wants to talk. That's transparency. 

I make my point of view known at Village Board meetings. That's transparency.

That being said, I have no desire to engage in, what I consider to be, pointless politically-based banter with my peers on Facebook. 

Why do I feel they are pointless? Because nothing can be accomplished in this context. 

So, today I reaffirm that I will continue to use this medium for writing this Blog, endless pictures of my family, my favorite quotes or sayings, 'Happy Birthday' wishes to all those I'm fortunate to have in my life, and simple updates regarding the Village, among other random things. 

Isn't that what Facebook was originally designed for? 

It is what it is. 

p
 










No comments:

Post a Comment