Sunday, January 31, 2016

Jefferson Elementary and the McDannald's...


I was 9 years old. 

My best friend, Cindy Naum, lived right across the street from me on Green Forest Drive. 

I had gotten the fourth grade teacher, Miss Fisher, that I had wanted since kindergarten. 

Life was good for me at Bowles Elementary School in Fenton, Missouri. 

Then my parents broke it to my brother and me that dad had taken a job in some far-away place called Jacksonville, Illinois. 

I remember my brother asking only one question. He wanted to know if people in Illinois cheered for the St. Louis Cardinals like our family had done for generations in Missouri. 

It was an extremely scary time. Even though we were only crossing one state line and driving a couple of hours...I was leaving the only home I'd ever known. Everything was unfamiliar. 

My dad had taken a job as principal of one of Jacksonville's elementary schools. 

Jefferson Elementary School was on North Clay Street. The building was absolutely beautiful. Large and impressive sitting on almost an entire block of its own, it was the center of the neighborhood. I thought it looked like a castle. 

I came from a school atmosphere in a suburb of St. Louis that was filled with kids from all over the area. Numerous neighborhoods pooled into the school I attended. It wasn't a true neighborhood 
school. There's no way I could have known all the kids who went to that school. There were too many. 

Jefferson was a neighborhood school, however, and it was a 'family' atmosphere like I'd never seen. Everyone knew everyone. 

Last night, Ed and I went into Kottage Kafe for a late dinner. Sitting at a table near the door was a couple I hadn't seen for years. They were a husband and wife who, merely by seeing them, immediately transported me back to when I was 9 and first came to Jacksonville. 

They were Jefferson Elementary School personified

Joe and Becky McDannald looked up and saw me.  I was surprised at the emotions I felt. The McDannald's mean comfort and acceptance. They were such important people to me when I met them over forty years ago. 

We talked for quite awhile. Catching up and talking about our families. Ed and I sat at a table close to theirs and we continued talking even after our food had come. 

It was when they started to leave that I knew I needed to get up and tell them goodbye.  As I first gave Joe a hug and then Becky, I became choked up and felt tears welling up in my eyes. 

These two people were so welcoming to my family when we knew no one. They not only volunteered at Jefferson at countless fundraisers, but they also welcomed my dad, my mom, my brother, and me into their home. We felt as if we were a part of the Jefferson neighborhood. So much time was spent with them and their family. 

Although I think of them from time to time, actually seeing them was overwhelming. I noticed tears in Becky's eyes, as well. I know we were both remembering the magic of those times shared so many years ago.

When they left, I told Ed I was surprised by the emotions that came to the surface by seeing the McDannald's. 

Maybe it's because I could see my family the way it was then. My mom, now gone for nearly 14 years, was young, beautiful, and full of life. We were embarking on what would become years and years of happiness in Jacksonvillle. 

I was 9 years old again in that moment. 

Even though I'm now a grown woman, Joe and Becky make me feel the way I did when I first met them. 

God Bless the McDannald's and the love they showed my family. 

I will be forever grateful for Jefferson Elementary and what it meant in my life. Looking at the picture of Jefferson evokes a warmth deep within my heart. 

The building no longer houses District 117 students but those walls still hold the laughter and friendship of all of us who once passed through its doors. 

It is so much more than a building. It was a neighborhood symbol for families, like the McDannald's, bound by what Jefferson represented during those years. It was the cornerstone of that community. 

We can't duplicate those times.

We can't duplicate those feelings. 

But, the memories are ours to keep. 

It is what it is. 

p

8 comments:

  1. That big green roof, my father had put on when he was PTA president back in the 80's. I wish they would have kept it a school! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you came to Jefferson. I remember having trouble saying your last name when I told my Mom we had a new principal. Your Dad was great. When I broke my finger in 5th grade he kept me laughing until my Mom came to pick me up.
    I attended Jefferson from kindergarten all the way through to sixth grade. I even got to stay a student there when my family moved out of Jefferson's boundaries because I didn't want to leave the only school I had ever attended. They let me stay because I only had one year left.
    I made many friends who I can say I am still in touch with while walking Jefferson's halls. I will always have fond memories of the time spent as a student at Jefferson Elementary.
    Thanks for writing about it, Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww i miss this school it had 2 of my favorite teachers ever mrs. Kimmons and mr jolly man i miss those times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya it was a good school sure do miss out of it

      Delete
  4. me and my siblings went there when we were younger seems like forever ago we went there until they split the school district up between there and Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  5. me and my siblings went there when we were younger seems like forever ago we went there until they split the school district up between there and Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me and my siblings went there when we were younger we went there until they split the school district up between Jefferson and Lincoln seems like its been forever my first grade teacher was Mrs.Gay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron Surratt 1942 to 1947

    I attended Jefferson back in the 1940's loved every minute and every year.

    ReplyDelete