Monday, February 29, 2016

Once a Crimson, always a Crimson...

Once upon a time, I was a Turner Devil. 

I wore green and white. 

I was so proud to represent Jonathan Turner Junior High. 

Then, a mom of one of the 8th graders decided that the Devil mascot was promoting negative religious connotations associated with the word. She went to the School Board and requested a mascot change.

I remember all of the students being surprised, as well as upset, at the possibility of removing our Devil. It had never crossed any of our minds that there needed to be or should be a change to our history. 

Even though I was only in 7th grade, I felt so strongly about keeping Turner as the Devils that I wrote a Letter-to-the-Editor. Seeing my thoughts in the Jacksonville Journal Courier was incredible. It took me several drafts and redrafts to get my ideas on the page, but I felt I represented what several of us felt in the final effort. 

How we were nothing but proud of being Turner Devils was clear. We needed a voice. I've never been afraid of speaking up when I've felt strongly and passionately about an issue. 

Unfortunately, the Board bent under pressure and we were forced to change the mascot. While we became Titans, we were still Turner Devils, through and through. I still think of myself, even today, as a Turner Devil. 

A few weeks ago, I read that the current School Board is looking to change or 'add-to' the current Jacksonville High School Crimson mascot.  A committee has been formed for that purpose. They will bring ideas to the Board. There's a possibility we won't be Crimsons anymore. 

Deja-vu. 

Like many families, several generations of Stewart's can say they were Crimsons. 

While I don't plan to write a Letter-to-the-Editor, I do feel as strongly now as I did all those years ago about messing with tradition. 

I applaud our school district for the plans to finally give our students the facilities they deserve.  Our community clearly supported the effort by passing a referendum to support this initiative. 

However, changing or 'adding-to' our JHS Crimson mascot should not be part of the equation. 

There's no need. 

Focus on the facilities and providing the education to our students. 

Buildings need to be updated. They need to change with the times to give the best we can, educationally. 

Leave it there. 

Mascots are not a part of that equation. 

Mascots are a tradition that we feel in our hearts.

Mascots are a pride we carry long after graduation. 

Mascots bind us as a class, as a school, and as a community. 

Leave the Crimsons alone. 

Sometimes, the urge to change goes too far. 

This is such a time. 

It is what it is. 

p















No comments:

Post a Comment