Thursday, February 18, 2016

Playing the Race Card...

When will we stop playing the race card and focus on personal responsibility?

In the past few days, news broke that a Springfield school board member believes race was a factor in a basketball game between Jacksonville and Lanphier high schools a week ago.

I happened to be at the Bowl with several family members. 

Watched the entire game. 

At the buzzer, JHS won 58-56.

I saw the technical fouls called against Lanphier players. But, personally, I didn't feel those calls impacted the outcome of the game. But I've never been the kind of person who believes questionable calls hold that power. I feel it all works out in the end. 

It's called a game for a reason. 

The variables that come with any IHSA competition includes the officials. Not a surprise. I'm sure I've heard JHS parents complain about questionable calls when we've been visiting other schools for a contest. I expect to hear grumbling about calls and about officials from both sides. Part of the experience. 

What I did NOT expect, however, was the playing of the race card. 

I have to say I was incredibly surprised to read, according to the Springfield Journal-Register, that board member Judy Johnson pointed out most of the Jacksonville High School players are white, as were the three Illinois High School Association referees, and Lanphier High School's roster is made up of mostly black players. 

Numerous reports say Lanphier has filed a formal complaint with the IHSA over the matter.

I'm so disappointed. 

While the Springfield school district appears to be playing the race card, I feel they are missing out on, ironically, a huge teachable moment for their entire community. 

When will we stop playing the race card and focus on personal responsibility?

As a former IESA and IHSA coach, I feel both the coach and school district need to hold their athletes accountable for their personal actions. 

Take the officials out of the equation. 

We are talking about learning how to handle adverse situations. 

Do we do it gracefully and humbly? Do we learn to recognize that life isn't fair? Do we model good sportsmanship to our teammates and to all those around us? Do we represent our school and our community to the best of our abilities, no matter what the situation? Do we lose as graciously as we win? 

Unfortunately, when athletes aren't held accountable, the very thread of what sports stand for starts to unravel. 

I don't fault the athletes.

They are kids. 

I fault the adults who allow behaviors to go unchecked. 

If there was a foul given that truly shouldn't have been, then the lesson is how to accept the perceived injustice in the best light possible. 

When will we stop playing the race card and focus on personal responsibility? 

Without a doubt, racial prejudice exists in this world. In my opinion, it's one of the most shameful parts of our society.

However, playing the race card simply because white and black athletes come together on a basketball court, amidst questionable calls, is not the way to handle what is merely the natural progression of a well-played game. 

By bringing the issue of race into this, I feel the Springfield school district is doing a tremendous disservice to the students who look to them as advocates of their future. 

This was a game. A hard-fought game. A nail-bitter of a game. An extremely well-played game with talented athletes. 

It was NOT about race.  

It is what it is. 

p

No comments:

Post a Comment