Monday, February 23, 2015

Believing...

I've heard there are two things you should never talk about with people.  Politics and Religion. 

I'd have to say they are subjects I tend to avoid, if at all possible.  As for politics, I just find the whole subject extremely frustrating and I don't like the debate that comes when I express my opinion.  I have realized I don't feel passionate enough about politics to get into a heated conversation or to try and prove my point to someone I'm speaking with.  There are others much more well-versed than I who can take up that battle. 

Religion, for me, is a much more personal and private subject.  While I still don't openly discuss my beliefs to many, I have always felt a strong sense of spirituality.  I was raised a devout catholic and was taught the rituals of the church.  So, it's not unusual that I still find comfort in praying.  That I find a solace in conversations with God.  Or, that I feel peace when I pray. 

However, today I am not what I would call a devout catholic.  Although I am still a member, I don't regularly attend my church.  In fact, the last time I was there was for a funeral of a dear friend.  As the years have gone by, I have struggled with my place there.  I don't necessarily believe that I need to attend to be a good, godly, person.  I know the church, and many of my same religion, would disagree with my assessment.  So, I stay away and keep God in my heart.

Whatever we practice or don't practice, in terms of a religious belief, we still feel compassion, sympathy and, sometimes, empathy for those in our lives.

This morning, I said a silent pray for a friend of mine who mentioned on his twitter feed that he was going to the doctor today for a neck biopsy.  He has battled cancer in the past and has won.  To see he could be facing another trying time made me close my eyes and pray.  I noticed the hashtag on his twitter post was #heisincontrol.  My friend put his faith in God before and I know he will do so now.  I am always amazed at the power of prayer and the power of one's faith, the total surrender to spirituality.

The beauty of religion and a belief in a higher being is that we have something, bigger than ourselves, all around us.  I don't talk about my spirituality because, as I mentioned earlier, it's very personal to me.  It can make people uncomfortable and I would never want that.  I also just want to believe the way I want to believe.  Perhaps that's the reason I don't regularly attend a structured church setting.  While this works well for so many, it isn't what I need.  I would prefer not to be criticized for how I chose to believe.  I don't feel there is a right or wrong way, just a way

But, for my friend, I felt compelled to publicly say that I am in awe of his belief system and how it helped him and his family survive a difficult time.  His belief that #heisincontrol will give him everything he needs, when or if he finds out he is facing another battle.  It will help him continue to live his life.

We are all in this life together.  How we choose to navigate it is up to us.  Whether it is with a God or not.  I do believe there is good and evil.  I do believe there are daily struggles of many different varieties and severities. 

However you choose to combat them, is your journey.

As for me, I will continue to close my eyes and silently pray.  I may go into my church and light a candle when no one else is around.  I will pray for my loved ones and for my friends. 

That is how I find my hopeMy peace.  Isn't that what we should wish for everyone?

It is what it is.

p


No comments:

Post a Comment